Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

  • What is a ROPS?

    A ROPS (rollover protective structure) attaches to a tractor and, with the use of a seatbelt, provides a safety-zone for the operator. In the event of an overturn or rollover, ROPS help prevent the tractor operator from being crushed under the tractor. Commonly ROPS are referred to as "rollbars," which are just one type of ROPS; ROPS can also come in the form of a cab.

  • How much does a ROPS cost?

    Rollbar prices vary according to the tractor make and model. Prices run from $148 all the way up to $5,910. Through the National ROPS Rebate Program; however, you can get a 70% rebate* toward the cost of your ROPS kit (rollbar and seatbelt)†, shipping, and professional installation (required in WI; highly recommended in all other states).

    *Varies in some states. Please see "How the National ROPS Rebate Program Works" for more information.
    †Cabs are not eligible for the National ROPS Rebate Program.

  • Can sun canopies be included in the rebate?

    Different rebate schemes allow rebates to include sun canopies. To determine if your state is one of them, please call. Here is a list of awning/ canopy companies in the U.S. if you are interested in pursuing this option on your own.

Selecting a ROPS Kit

  • Can I receive a rebate for a ROPS kit that was purchased or installed previously?

    All participants must follow the procedures laid out on the "National ROPS Rebate Program" page; these instructions require farmers to register for the program and be pre-approved prior to ordering their kits. ROPS kits purchased or installed prior to enrolling in the National ROPS Rebate Program are not eligible for a rebate.

  • Do I have to purchase a ROPS from the list of sources you sent me?

    No; participants may order their ROPS from whichever source they choose, as long as they meet program requirements. The program requires that ROPS kits meet appropriate national or international ROPS standards and include seatbelts. Additionally, used kits are only allowed if new kits are not available.

  • Do used ROPS qualify for the rebate?

    Used, certified rollbars are only allowed if none are commercially available, and must be installed only on the tractor they are intended for (as per manufacturer approval). Please contact National ROPS Rebate Program staff for used ROPS requirements prior to purchasing.

  • Can I make my own ROPS?

    No; homemade ROPS are not allowed through this program. In order to receive a rebate, your ROPS kit must be certified to the appropriate national or international standards. The certification process requires extensive engineering testing; by certifying a ROPS kit, manufacturers are letting you know that the ROPS will protect you in an overturn, when used appropriately (i.e. on the proper tractor, with folding ROPS in the "up" position).

    Even if you choose not to participate in the National ROPS Rebate Program, we highly recommend that you do not build your own ROPS. Homemade ROPS may not be able to protect the operator in a rollover or overturn.

Installation and Receiving a Rebate

  • Do I have to have my ROPS Installed Professionally?

    Professional installation is highly recommended; however, not required, except in Wisconsin. Self-installation is not recommended because it can prove to be a long, complex, and physically demanding process for many tractor models. Professional (dealer) installation assures that the ROPS is properly attached and will not fail under the considerable forces generated in a tractor overturn. Those who choose to self-install the ROPS assume the responsibility and liability for ensuring the installation has been done properly. We suggest you read the article "Pause For Thought: Should You Install a ROPS Yourself' by Henry P. Cole.(PDF)

  • How long will it take before I receive my rebate check?

    National ROPS Rebate Program staff will begin processing your rebate immediately upon receipt of all required documentation. You should receive your rebate check within 45 business days after this time.

  • How many tractors can I retrofit and receive a rebate on?

    Only one tractor, per farm, per year can be retrofitted in most states. In states with sufficient funding, additional tractors may be allowed. Please contact the National ROPS Rebate Program staff for more information.

Program Funding and State Eligibility

  • Which states currently offer this program?

    Currently, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Iowa, and Minnesota offer this program; though in some instances, you may be placed on a waitlist if funding is temporarily unavailable. We are working hard to bring the National ROPS Rebate Program to additional states.

  • Who funds this program?

    The administration of the National ROPS Rebate Program is funded by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and facilitated by the Northeast Center for Occupational Health and Safety: Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing (NEC). In some instances, state funding is reserved for rebate funding; in others, private donations have been collected for these purposes. Please see below for a list of our current Sponsors. For a list of our Partners, please visit our Partners' Page!

  • Can I sign up, even if there is no funding in my state?

    Yes! If there is no program currently available in your state, you can still register for the National ROPS Rebate Program, and will be placed on a waitlist. Once funding becomes available in your state, Program staff will begin processing those on the waitlist in the order that they were added.

  • Is there anything I can do to get a program going in my state?

    Yes! There are several things that you can do to help get a program started:

    1. Bring the National ROPS Rebate Program up at your next Farm Bureau policy meeting, and propose that it is added to the group's priorities.

    2. Write a letter to your state representatives, letting them know why funding for the National ROPS Rebate Program is so important to you and others in your state.

    3. If you know of companies who might be interested in funding the National ROPS Rebate Program, call us at 877-767-7748. Our fundraising team can work to connect with these organizations.

    If you have questions or other ideas of how you can help, please call us at 877-767-7748!

Dealer Information

If I have further questions, who can I contact?

Further questions may be directed to:

National ROPS Rebate Program
One Atwell Road
Cooperstown, NY 13326

Phone: (877) 767-7748
Fax: (607) 547-6087